DIFFERENT KINDS OF PRAYER
Ephesians 6:18 (GW) Pray in the Spirit in every situation. Use every kind of prayer and request there is.
The Prayer of Consecration
Surrendering to God’s will.
Luke 22:42 (KJV) Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
- This prayer is used to dedicate ourself to God’s plan.
- This prayer is used to keep our flesh in check.
- This is the only prayer we can pray, “if it be Thy will.”
The Prayer of Faith
Moving things contrary to God’s will.
James 5:15 (KJV) The prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up.
James 1:5-6 (KJV) If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally . . . . But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering.
- You must place your trust in God.
- Your stand of faith must be based on God’s Word.
- This prayer never contains an “if.”
- This prayer believes before it sees.
Mark 11:24 (NIV) “Whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.”
The Prayer of Commitment
Cast our cares on the Lord.
Philippians 4:6-8 (NLT) Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus . . . . Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.
Worry is how Satan undermines our faith.
- Cast the weight of worry onto the Lord.
- Focus on God’s care for you.
1 Peter 5:7 (Phillips) Throw the whole weight of your anxieties upon him, for you are his personal concern.
The Prayer of Agreement
Also known as United Prayer.
Matthew 18:19-20 (NIV) Truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
- Find a few prayer friends!
- There must be unity:
- Between each individual involved.
- With the Word of God.
- With the expected results.
2 Chronicles 7:14 (NIV) If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.