Psalm 27:10 (MSG) My father and mother walked out and left me, but God took me in.
John 2:1-5 (NIV) On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.” “Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.” His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
Godly Parents: See what no one else sees.
- Mary saw Jesus’s potential.
- Godly mothers look past our insecurities.
- Jesus was perfect, but people didn’t see Him as perfect.
Matthew 11:18-19 (NIV) John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.
Godly Parents: Create opportunities to draw what’s in us out.
- Mary involved Jesus.
- She nudged Him into uncharted waters.
- Godly mothers challenge us.
John 2:11 (NIV) What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
Godly Parents: Bring out the best in us.
- Mary is responsible for Jesus’s first miracle.
John 2:11 (NIV) This act in Cana of Galilee was the first sign Jesus gave, the first glimpse of his glory. And his disciples believed in him.
. . . Jesus did this as the beginning of his signs. – NABRE
Godly Parents: Allow us to take credit.
- Mary lets Jesus receive the glory.
- Mary lovingly supported Jesus from a distance.
- Mary did not jump into the spotlight.
- Godly mothers want others to see the greatness they see.
John 3:30 (AMP) He must increase, but I must decrease. [He must grow more prominent; I must grow less so.]
Godly Parents: Find joy in your success.
- When you succeed it makes them happy.
- They don’t want to see you fail.
- Godly Mothers enjoy watching you grow into the person God has called you to be.
Proverbs 23:24 (TPT) When a father [or mother] observes his child living in godliness, he [she] is ecstatic with joy—nothing makes him prouder!
Godly Parents: Will continue to speak into your life.
- If they see something, they’re going to say something.
Proverbs 1:8-9 (ERV) My son, listen to your father when he corrects you, and don’t ignore what your mother teaches you. What you learn from your parents will bring you honor and respect, like a crown or a gold medal.
Psalm 68:6 (TPT) To the fatherless God is a father. To the widow he is a champion friend. The lonely he makes part of a family.