THE PATH OF APOSTASY
Hebrews 4:14-16 (NIV) Since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
OUR PROFESSION OF FAITH
- I’m saved by the blood of Jesus. Christ’s blood cleanses, redeems, forgives, and makes us holy.
- I’m empowered by the Holy Spirit. God’s Spirit frees, strengthens, fills, sanctifies, and leads us.
- Jesus Christ is my only Savior and Lord.
THE WIDE PATH OF INIQUITY
Iniquity is the root of apostasy.
- Romans 1:21 (NHE) “Because, when they knew God, they glorified Him not as God,”
- 1. We stop magnifying God; His love, character and faithfulness.
- Romans 1:21 (NHE) “neither were thankful;”
- 2. We start magnifying life’s problems.
- Romans 1:21 (NHE) “but became vain in their imaginations,”
- 3. We lose focus of God’s plan for our lives.
- Romans 1:21 (NHE) “and their foolish heart was darkened.”
- 4. We look for answers outside of God.
- Romans 1:22 (NHE) “Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,”
- 5. We start trusting in worldly demonic wisdom (James 3:15-16).
- Romans 1:23 (NHE) “And changed the glory of God into an image like corruptible man.”
- 6. We no longer have a burning desire to be like Jesus.
- Romans 1:24 (NHE) “Who dishonored their own bodies,”
- 7. We lose sight of our worth and value to God.
- Romans 1:25 (NHE) “Who exchanged the truth of God for a lie,”
- 8. We begin to question our faith.
- Romans 1:25 (NHE) “and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator,”
- 9. We seek the approval of men over the approval of God.
- Romans 1:26 (NHE) “For this cause God gave them up unto their vile affections;”
- 10. We elevate fleshly fulfillment over spiritual fulfillment.
- Romans 1:27 (NHE) “receiving in themselves that recompense of their error.”
- 11. We’re left empty, unfulfilled, and lost (Romans 6:23).
- Romans 1:28 (NHE) “They did not like to retain God in their knowledge,”
- 12. We vilify God, blame Him, build walls, and eventually apostatize.
1 John 1:9 (AMP) If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action].
Apostasy is allowing iniquity to permeate your heart until you willfully reject and abandon Jesus and His teachings.
Proverbs 14:14 (NKJV) The backslider in heart will be filled with his own ways, but a good man will be satisfied from above.
The Spirit of the Antichrist Uses:
- Persecution (Matthew 24:9-10)
- False prophets (Matthew 24:11; 2 Timothy 4:4)
- False apostles (Galatians 1:6-9)
- False teachers (2 Peter 2-3)
- Doctrines of devils (Colossians 2:8; 1 Timothy 4)
- Seducing spirits (Romans 16:17-18; Titus 1:10)
- Worldly pleasures (Luke 8:13)
2 Timothy 3:12 (PHILLIPS) Persecution is inevitable for those who are determined to live real Christian lives.
Matthew 5:10–12 (NHE) Blessed are those who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are you when they insult you, persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven. For that is how they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Revelation 2-3 to the Victorious Church:
To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God. I will give you life as your victor’s crown. You will not be hurt at all by the second death. I will give you hidden manna. I will also give you a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it. I will give authority over the nations—just as I have received authority from my Father. I will also give you the morning star. You will be dressed in white. Your name will never be blotted out from the book of life. I will acknowledge you before my Father and his angels. Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth. You will be a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will you leave it. I will write on you the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on you my new name. I will give you the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.