OUR LOVE WALK (GOD, SELF & PEOPLE)
Philippians 1:9 (CP) This I pray: that your love [agape] may keep growing until you have such understanding and keen perception that you can sort out the truly important matters.
Only agape love can bring clarity to what matters most!
Matthew 22:36-40 (NLT) “Teacher, which is the most important commandment.” Jesus replied, “’You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”
Love God, love yourself and love people.
- Don’t focus on being perfect.
- Don’t focus on being sinless.
- Just focus on loving God, loving yourself and loving people.
Galatians 5:6 (JERU) What matters is faith that makes its power felt through love.
. . . In this new way of relating to God through Jesus Christ, no outward performance or ritual can produce the vital transformation—all that matters is trust in the pledge [promise] of God which produces a life of love. – JOHN
- The Pharisees did not love God, so they loved money.
- They did not love themselves, so they needed praise.
- They did not love people, so they craved control.
1 John 4:7-8 (LOVETT) Everyone who displays this agape love is born of God and knows God. This love flows from God and there is no other place to get it. Therefore, the man who has not this love, cannot claim to know God, for God is love.
WHAT IS AGAPE LOVE?
1. Sacrificial. It is sincere, generous and selfless.
Agape is a love marked by giving, NOT by getting!
- Love God – Be sincere, generous, selfless and sacrificial.
- Love Yourself – You’re a spirit, not a body [the body makes sacrifices for the spirit].
- Love People – Sincerely love, be generous and sacrifice.
2. Undeserved. It is gracious, merciful and uplifting.
Agape sees people, not as they are, but as they can be.
- Love God – God’s deserving, we’re not always gracious.
- Love Yourself – Have grace on yourself—remember it is undeserved!
- Love People – Have grace on people, build people up!
3. Unconditional. It is steady, constant and unfailing.
Doubt does not destroy agape, nor does faith create it.
- Love God – Don’t let anything destroy your love for God.
- Love Yourself – Stop putting conditions on your love!
- Love People – When people fail, love them anyway!
The people you believe in do not change your life. The people who change your life are the people who believe in you.
Romans 5:5 (TLB) . . . God has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with His love.
Proverbs 21:21 (NIV) Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor.
1 Corinthians 14:1 (AMP) Eagerly pursue and seek to acquire [this] love [make it your aim, your great quest].
1 John 2:4-5 (LSC) The way we can be sure whether we’re getting to know God better is by how much we do what He wants us to do . . . . The more we obey God and pay attention to His words in our lives, the more we experience the perfection of God’s love.
Obedience to God is not about us being perfect, it’s about us getting to know the One Who is.